THE OFFER AND SALE OF THESE SECURITIES AND THE SECURITIES ISSUABLE UPON EXERCISE OF THESE SECURITIES HAVE NOT BEEN REGISTERED UNDER THE SECURITIES ACT OF 1933, AS AMENDED (THE “SECURITIES ACT”), OR ANY APPLICABLE STATE SECURITIES LAWS. THE SECURITIES MAY NOT BE OFFERED FOR SALE, SOLD, TRANSFERRED, ASSIGNED OR OTHERWISE DISPOSED OF IN THE ABSENCE OF (A) AN EFFECTIVE REGISTRATION STATEMENT FOR THE SECURITIES UNDER THE SECURITIES ACT OR (B) AN AVAILABLE EXEMPTION FROM, OR IN A TRANSACTION NOT SUBJECT TO, THE REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS OF THE SECURITIES ACT AND IN EACH CASE IN ACCORDANCE WITH APPLICABLE STATE SECURITIES LAWS OR BLUE SKY LAWS AS EVIDENCED BY A LEGAL OPINION OF COUNSEL REASONABLY SATISFACTORY TO THE COMPANY AND ITS TRANSFER AGENT. NOTWITHSTANDING THE FOREGOING, THE SECURITIES MAY BE PLEDGED IN CONNECTION WITH A BONA FIDE MARGIN ACCOUNT OR OTHER LOAN OR FINANCING ARRANGEMENT SECURED BY THE SECURITIES; PROVIDED THAT IN CONNECTION WITH ANY FORECLOSURE OR TRANSFER OF THE SECURITIES, THE TRANSFEROR SHALL COMPLY WITH THE PROVISIONS HEREIN, IN THE SECURITIES PURCHASE AGREEMENT AND THE REGISTRATION RIGHTS AGREEMENT, AND UPON FORECLOSURE OR TRANSFER OF THE SECURITIES, SUCH FORECLOSING PERSON OR TRANSFEREE SHALL COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, IN THE SECURITIES PURCHASE AGREEMENT AND THE REGISTRATION RIGHTS AGREEMENT.
WARRANT TO PURCHASE COMMON STOCK
Oncothyreon Inc., a Delaware corporation (the “ Company ”), hereby certifies that, for value received, ___________ or its permitted registered assigns (the “ Holder ”), is entitled to purchase from the Company up to a total of __________ shares of common stock, $0.0001 par value per share (the “ Common Stock ”), of the Company (each such share, a “ Warrant Share ” and all such shares, the “ Warrant Shares ”) at an exercise price per share equal to $4.24 per share (as adjusted from time to time as provided in Section 9 herein, the “ Exercise Price ”), at any time and from time to time on or after the six-month anniversary of the date hereof (the “ Original Issue Date ”) and through and including 5:30 P.M., New York City time, on the five (5) year anniversary of the earlier of (a) the Effective Date whereby all Registrable Securities (as defined in the Registration Rights Agreement) may be freely resold pursuant to a resale registration statement, and (b) the date when all Registrable Securities (as defined in the Registration Rights Agreement) can be sold under Rule 144 without any restriction or limitation and without the requirement to be in compliance with Rule 144(c)(1) (the “ Expiration Date ”), and subject to the following terms and conditions:
This Warrant (this “ Warrant ”) is one of a series of similar warrants issued pursuant to that certain Securities Purchase Agreement, dated September 23, 2010 by and among the Company and the Purchasers identified therein (the “ Purchase Agreement ”). All such Warrants are referred to herein, collectively, as the “ Warrants .”
1. Definitions . In addition to the terms defined elsewhere in this Warrant, capitalized terms that are not otherwise defined herein have the meanings given to such terms in the Purchase Agreement.
2. Registration of Warrants . The Company shall register this Warrant, upon records to be maintained by the Company for that purpose (the “ Warrant Register ”), in the name of the record Holder (which shall include the initial Holder or, as the case may be, any registered assignee to which this Warrant is permissibly assigned hereunder) from time to time. The Company may deem and treat the registered Holder of this Warrant as the absolute owner hereof for the purpose of any exercise hereof or any distribution to the Holder, and for all other purposes, absent actual notice to the contrary.
3. Registration of Transfers . Subject to the restrictions on transfer set forth in Section 4.1 of the Purchase Agreement and compliance with all applicable securities laws, the Company shall register the transfer of all or any portion of this Warrant in the Warrant Register, upon surrender of this Warrant, with the Form of Assignment attached as Schedule 2 hereto duly completed and signed, to the Company at its address specified in the Purchase Agreement and (x) delivery, at the request of the Company, of an opinion of counsel reasonably satisfactory to the Company to the effect that the transfer of such portion of this Warrant may be made pursuant to an available exemption from the registration requirements of the Securities Act and all applicable state securities or blue sky laws and (y) delivery by the transferee of a written statement to the Company certifying that the transferee is an “accredited investor” as defined in Rule 501(a) under the Securities Act and making the representations and certifications set forth in Sections 3.2 of the Purchase Agreement, to the Company at its address specified in the Purchase Agreement. Upon any such registration or transfer, a new warrant to purchase Common Stock in substantially the form of this Warrant (any such new warrant, a “ New Warrant ”) evidencing the portion of this Warrant so transferred shall be issued to the transferee, and a New Warrant evidencing the remaining portion of this Warrant not so transferred, if any, shall be issued to the transferring Holder. The acceptance of the New Warrant by the transferee thereof shall be deemed the acceptance by such transferee of all of the rights and obligations in respect of the New Warrant that the Holder has in respect of this Warrant. The Company shall prepare, issue and deliver at its own expense any New Warrant under this Section 3 .
4. Exercise and Duration of Warrants .
(a) All or any part of this Warrant shall be exercisable by the registered Holder in any manner permitted by Section 10 of this Warrant at any time and from time to time on or after the six-month anniversary of the Original Issue Date and through and including 5:30 P.M., New York City time, on the Expiration Date, subject to the conditions and restrictions contained in this Warrant. At 5:30 P.M., New York City time, on the Expiration Date, the portion of this Warrant not exercised prior thereto shall be and become void and of no value and this Warrant shall be terminated and no longer outstanding.
(b) The Holder may exercise this Warrant by delivering to the Company (i) an exercise notice, in the form attached as Schedule 1 hereto (the “ Exercise Notice ”), completed and duly signed, and (ii) payment of the Exercise Price for the number of Warrant Shares as to which this Warrant is being exercised (which may take the form of a “cashless exercise” if so indicated in the Exercise Notice and if a “cashless exercise” may occur at such time pursuant to Section 10 below). The date on which the Exercise Notice is delivered to the Company (as determined in accordance with the notice provisions hereof) is an “ Exercise Date .” Within two (2) days following the delivery of the Exercise Notice (the “ Payment Deadline ”), the Holder shall make
payment with respect to the Exercise Price for the number of Warrant Shares as to which this Warrant is being exercised; provided that the Company’s obligations to deliver such Warrant Shares shall be delayed on a day-for-day basis each day after the Payment Deadline such payment of the Exercise Price is not paid. The delivery by (or on behalf of) the Holder of the Exercise Notice and the applicable Exercise Price, except to the extent this Warrant is exercised by a “cashless” exercise pursuant to Section 10 hereto, as provided above shall constitute the Holder’s certification to the Company that its representations contained in Sections 3.2(a), (b), (d), (f), (g), (k), (l) and (q) of the Purchase Agreement are true and correct as of the Exercise Date as if remade in their entirety (or, in the case of any transferee Holder that is not a party to the Purchase Agreement, such transferee Holder’s certification to the Company that such representations are true and correct as to such transferee Holder as of the Exercise Date). The Holder shall not be required to physically surrender this Warrant to the Company until the Holder has purchased all of the Warrant Shares available hereunder and the Warrant has been exercised in full, in which case, the Holder shall surrender this Warrant to the Company for cancellation within three (3) Trading Days of the date the final Exercise Notice is delivered to the Company. Execution and delivery of the Exercise Notice shall have the same effect as cancellation of the original Warrant and issuance of a New Warrant evidencing the right to purchase the remaining number of Warrant Shares, if any.
5. Delivery of Warrant Shares .
(a) Subject to Section 4(b) , upon exercise of this Warrant, the Company shall promptly (but in no event later than 5:30 P.M., New York City time, on the third (3 rd ) Trading Day after the Exercise Date (or the fourth (4 th ) Trading Day if the last of the Exercise Notice, the Exercise Price (if applicable) and opinion of counsel referred to below in this Section 5(a) (if applicable) is delivered after 5:00 P.M., New York City time, on the Exercise Date) (such time, the “ Delivery Deadline ”) issue or cause to be issued and cause to be delivered to or upon the written order of the Holder and in such name or names as the Holder may designate (provided that, if the Registration Statement is not effective and the Holder directs the Company to deliver a certificate for the Warrant Shares in a name other than that of the Holder or an Affiliate of the Holder, it shall deliver to the Company on the Exercise Date an opinion of counsel reasonably satisfactory to the Company to the effect that the issuance of such Warrant Shares in such other name may be made pursuant to an available exemption from the registration requirements of the Securities Act and all applicable state securities or blue sky laws), (i) a certificate for the Warrant Shares issuable upon such exercise, free of restrictive legends, or (ii) an electronic delivery of the Warrant Shares to the Holder’s account at the Depository Trust Company (“ DTC ”) or a similar organization, unless in the case of clause (i) and (ii) a registration statement covering the resale of the Warrant Shares and naming the Holder as a selling stockholder thereunder is not then effective or the Warrant Shares are not freely transferable without volume and manner of sale restrictions pursuant to Rule 144 under the Securities Act, in which case such Holder shall receive a certificate for the Warrant Shares issuable upon such exercise with appropriate restrictive legends. The Holder, or any Person permissibly so designated by the Holder to receive Warrant Shares, shall be deemed to have become the holder of record of such Warrant Shares as of the Exercise Date with respect thereto. If the Warrant Shares can be issued without restrictive legends, the Company shall, upon the written request of the Holder, use its commercially reasonable efforts to deliver, or cause to be delivered, Warrant Shares hereunder electronically through DTC or another established clearing corporation performing similar functions, if available.
(b) If by the Delivery Deadline, the Company has failed to comply with Section 5(a) , and if after such Delivery Deadline and prior to the receipt of such Warrant Shares, the Holder
purchases (in an open market transaction) shares of Common Stock to deliver in satisfaction of a sale by the Holder of the Warrant Shares which the Holder anticipated receiving upon such exercise (a “ Buy-In ”), then the Company shall, within three (3) Trading Days after the Company receives the Holder’s written request and in the Holder’s sole discretion, either (1) pay in cash to the Holder an amount equal to the Holder’s total purchase price (including brokerage commissions, if any, that are reasonably documented in Holder’s written request) for the shares of Common Stock so purchased, at which point the Company’s obligation to deliver and issue such Warrant Shares shall terminate or (2) promptly honor its obligation to deliver to the Holder such Warrant Shares and pay cash to the Holder in an amount equal to the excess (if any) of Holder’s total purchase price (including brokerage commissions, if any, that are reasonably documented in Holder’s written request) for the shares of Common Stock so purchased in the Buy-In over the product of (A) the number of shares of Common Stock purchased in the Buy-In, times (B) the Closing Bid Price of a share of Common Stock on the Exercise Date.
(c) To the extent permitted by law, the Company’s obligations to issue and deliver Warrant Shares in accordance with the terms hereof are absolute and unconditional, irrespective of any action or inaction by the Holder to enforce the same, any waiver or consent with respect to any provision hereof, the recovery of any judgment against any Person or any action to enforce the same. Nothing herein shall limit the Holder’s right to pursue any other remedies available to it hereunder, at law or in equity including, without limitation, a decree of specific performance and/or injunctive relief with respect to the Company’s failure to timely deliver the Warrant Shares upon exercise of the Warrant as required pursuant to the terms hereof.
6. Charges, Taxes and Expenses . Issuance and delivery of the Warrant Shares upon exercise of this Warrant shall be made without charge to the Holder for any issue or transfer tax, transfer agent fee or other incidental tax or expense in respect of the issuance of the Warrant Shares, all of which taxes and expenses shall be paid by the Company; provided, however , that the Company shall not be required to pay any tax that may be payable in respect of any transfer involved in the registration of Warrant Shares or the Warrants in a name other than that of the Holder or an Affiliate thereof. The Holder shall be responsible for all other tax liabilities that may arise as a result of holding or transferring this Warrant or receiving Warrant Shares upon exercise hereof.
7. Replacement of Warrant . If this Warrant is mutilated, lost, stolen or destroyed, the Company shall issue or cause to be issued in exchange and substitution for and upon cancellation hereof, or in lieu of and substitution for this Warrant, a New Warrant, but only upon receipt of evidence reasonably satisfactory to the Company of such loss, theft or destruction (in such case) and, in each case, a customary and reasonable indemnity and surety bond, if requested by the Company. Applicants for a New Warrant under such circumstances shall also comply with such other reasonable regulations and procedures and pay such other reasonable third-party costs as the Company may prescribe. If a New Warrant is requested as a result of a mutilation of this Warrant, then the Holder shall deliver such mutilated Warrant to the Company as a condition precedent to the Company’s obligation to issue the New Warrant.
8. Reservation of Warrant Shares . The Company covenants that it will at all times reserve and keep available out of the aggregate of its authorized but unissued and otherwise unreserved Common Stock, solely for the purpose of enabling it to issue Warrant Shares upon exercise of this Warrant as herein provided, the number of Warrant Shares that are initially issuable and deliverable upon the exercise of this entire Warrant, free from preemptive rights or any other contingent purchase rights of persons other than the Holder (taking into account the adjustments and restrictions of Section 9 ). The Company covenants that all Warrant Shares so issuable and deliverable shall, upon issuance and the payment of the applicable Exercise Price (or upon a
“cashless exercise” pursuant to Section 10 ) in accordance with the terms hereof, be duly and validly authorized, issued and fully paid and nonassessable. The Company will take all commercially reasonable actions as may be necessary to assure that such shares of Common Stock may be issued as provided herein without violation of any applicable law or regulation, or of any requirements of any securities exchange or automated quotation system upon which the Common Stock may be listed.
9. Certain Adjustments . The Exercise Price and number of Warrant Shares issuable upon exercise of this Warrant are subject to adjustment from time to time as set forth in this Section 9 .
(a) Stock Dividends and Splits . If the Company, at any time while this Warrant is outstanding, (i) pays a stock dividend on its Common Stock or otherwise makes a distribution on any class of capital stock that is payable in shares of Common Stock, (ii) subdivides its outstanding shares of Common Stock into a larger number of shares, or (iii) combines its outstanding shares of Common Stock into a smaller number of shares, then in each such case, the Exercise Price shall be multiplied by a fraction, the numerator of which shall be the number of shares of Common Stock outstanding immediately before such event and the denominator of which shall be the number of shares of Common Stock outstanding immediately after such event. Any adjustments made pursuant to clause (i) of this paragraph shall become effective immediately after the record date for the determination of stockholders entitled to receive such dividend or distribution, and any adjustment pursuant to clause (ii) or (iii) of this paragraph shall become effective immediately after the effective date of such subdivision or combination.
(b) Pro Rata Distributions . If the Company, at any time while this Warrant is outstanding, distributes to all holders of Common Stock for no consideration (i) evidences of its indebtedness, (ii) any security (other than a distribution of Common Stock covered by the preceding paragraph) or (iii) rights or warrants to subscribe for or purchase any security, or (iv) any other asset, including cash dividends (in each case, “ Distributed Property ”), then, upon any exercise of this Warrant that occurs after the record date fixed for determination of stockholders entitled to receive such distribution, the Holder shall be entitled to receive, in addition to the Warrant Shares otherwise issuable upon such exercise (if applicable), the Distributed Property that such Holder would have been entitled to receive in respect of such number of Warrant Shares had the Holder been the record holder of such Warrant Shares immediately prior to such record date without regard to any limitation on exercise contained therein. Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, the foregoing provisions in this Section 9(b) shall not apply to, or be triggered by, any rights issued by the Company (either separately or that attach to any securities of the Company) in connection with any stockholders rights agreement, poison pill or other similar anti-takeover provision under the Company’s certificate of incorporation, bylaws or other documents.
(c) Fundamental Transactions .
(i) It shall be a condition to the Company’s entry into a Fundamental Transaction that (i) if the Successor Entity (or the Successor Entity’s Parent Entity) is a publicly traded entity whose common stock is quoted on or listed for trading on an U.S. national securities exchange, the Successor Entity (or Parent Entity, if applicable) assumes in writing (or remains bound by) all of the obligations of the Company under this Warrant in accordance with the provisions of this Section 9(c), including agreements (if necessary) to deliver to each holder of the Warrants in exchange for such Warrants a security of the Successor Entity (or Parent Entity, if applicable) evidenced by a written instrument substantially similar in form and substance to this Warrant, including, without
limitation, an adjusted (if necessary) exercise price equal to the value for the shares of Common Stock reflected by the terms of such Fundamental Transaction, and exercisable for a corresponding number of shares of capital stock equivalent to the shares of Common Stock acquirable and receivable upon exercise of this Warrant (without regard to any limitations on the exercise of this Warrant) prior to such Fundamental Transaction, and (ii) if the Successor Entity is not a publicly traded entity whose common stock is quoted on or listed for trading on an U.S. national securities exchange, the Successor assumes in writing (or remains bound by) all of the obligations of the Company under this Warrant pursuant to written agreements, including (if necessary) agreements to deliver to each holder of Warrants in exchange for such Warrants a security of the Successor Entity evidenced by a written instrument substantially similar in form and substance to this Warrant exercisable for the consideration that would have been issuable in the Fundamental Transaction in respect of the Warrant Shares had this Warrant been exercised immediately prior to the consummation of the Fundamental Transaction. Upon the occurrence of any such Fundamental Transaction, the Successor Entity (or Parent Entity, if applicable) shall succeed to, and be substituted for (so that from and after the date of such Funda