September 9, 2008
Charles A. Webster
1. TESSERA, INC. (hereinafter “Tessera” or the “Company”), a Delaware corporation, having a principal place of business at 3099 Orchard Drive, San Jose, California 95134, wishes to obtain your services as an independent consultant/contractor (hereinafter “Consultant”, “you” or “your”) on projects agreed upon by you or to be assigned by the Company (hereinafter the “Projects”), and you as an independent contractor desire to offer your services to the Company and accept the assignment to complete such Projects. The initial Projects are briefly outlined in Exhibit A attached hereto. This letter shall constitute an agreement (the “Agreement”) between you and the Company, and contains all the terms and conditions relating to the services that you provide.
2. This Agreement will become effective on September 19, 2008 and will continue until June 19, 2009, at which time it will terminate. The Company may terminate this Agreement immediately and without prior notice if Consultant is in breach of any material provision of this Agreement and fails to remedy such breach within ten (10) days after receipt of written notice from the Company. If you become employed by another company prior to such termination date, you will provide written assurances that the continuation of this Agreement is acceptable to such company.
3. As consideration for your services, you will be paid as set forth in Exhibit A attached hereto for actual work performed on Projects. Fees for future projects will be set forth in an amendment to this Agreement or in future agreements for such future projects.
4. According to the nature of Projects, you may be reimbursed for reasonable travel and other out-of-pocket expenses actually incurred by you in connection with your services under this Agreement, provided that you must obtain prior approval of a Company Vice President for such expenses, and provided that you submit proper receipts for reimbursement. Reimbursement will not be allowed for expenses incurred without prior approval.
5. Your relationship with the Company shall be that of an independent contractor; and both parties agree and understand that it is not an employment relationship. You will not be eligible for any employee benefits, nor will the Company make deductions from payments made to you for taxes, which shall be your sole responsibility as an independent contractor. In this regard, you hereby represent and confirm to the Company that you act as an independent contractor and that you will pay all taxes, including federal, state and local income taxes, FICA, Medicare contributions, disability, and others.
6. As an independent contractor, you shall have no authority to enter into contracts that bind the Company or create obligations on the part of the Company without the express prior written authorization of the Company. Such authorization must be signed by a Company officer. In
addition, as an independent contractor, you may establish your own work schedule, consistent with the needs of Projects. You may determine the location where you perform services under this Agreement, consistent with the timeliness and cost-effectiveness of completing Projects. If you desire to perform some part of the services on the Company’s premises, Company will make the appropriate arrangements to accommodate such needs. At times that you may work in the Company’s premises and use Company’s furniture and equipment to facilitate the completion of Projects, but such access should not be construed as an indicia of employment.
7. The Company has selected you to provide consulting services based upon your experience and expertise and, accordingly, does not anticipate providing you with training or detailed instructions on all aspects of performing such services.
8. You confirm that you are doing business as an independent contractor and that the Tax Identification Number given by you hereunder is the correct I.D. for tax reporting purpose. In addition, you hereby represent and confirm that you will carry your own worker compensation insurance if required by law, and other liability insurance coverages as an independent contractor and that the Company is not responsible for such liability and insurance.
9. You shall keep in confidence and shall not disclose or make available to third parties or make any use of any information or documents relating to your services under this Agreement or to the products, methods of manufacture, trade secrets, processes, business practices, vendor or customer lists, or confidential or proprietary information of the Company (other than information already in the public domain), except with the prior written consent of the Company. You recognize that the Company has received and in the future will receive from third parties their confidential or proprietary information subject to a duty on the Company’s part to maintain the confidentiality of such information and to use it only for certain limited purposes. You agree that you owe the Company and such third parties, during the term of this Agreement and thereafter, a duty to hold all such confidential or proprietary information in the strictest confidence and not to disclose it to any person, firm or corporation or to use it except as necessary in connection with the Projects consistent with the Company’s agreement with such third party. Upon termination of this Agreement you will return to the Company all documents, or other materials related to the services provided hereunder or furnished to you by the Company. Your obligations under this paragraph shall survive termination of this Agreement.
10. As an independent contractor, you will have all the necessary expertise of your own to complete Projects. You agree and represent that you will not use, copy, or otherwise incorporate any proprietary information of third parties to complete Projects. The Company will not authorize the use of third parties’ confidential and proprietary information.
11. You shall promptly disclose and hereby transfer and assign to the Company all right, title and interest to all techniques, methods, processes, formulae, improvements, inventions and discoveries (collectively, the “Inventions”) made or conceived or reduced to